I’m surprised how difficult it is to get the raw image files from a professional photographer you hire. They’ll usually give a reason, like “the finished photo is my art.” And when I refute all the weak reasons, they almost always rely on, “it’s not my policy.” This leads me to the conclusion that the real reason is lock-in. They want you coming back for prints, edits, etc., for which, of course they will charge. I’m a photographer myself, and I find it difficult to justify not getting raw images.
Here’re some of the arguments they give:
“The final deliverable is my […]
Do you collaborate on documents with co-workers? I.e., do you edit the same doc or file (I use “docs” and “files” interchangeably herein) with one or more people sometimes?
Duh, who doesn’t, right?
Unless your company has strict policies, you probably have some options on how you share documents. You could use browser-based apps like Google Docs or Microsoft OfficeOnline. Or you could email file attachments around.
(I can’t believe I’m still writing about email file attachments for doc collab; but alas, status quo is hard to change.)
Different users have different preferences and different […]
I often get asked for recommendations for team collaboration tools. The advice I give seems overly simplistic to me, but since I get enough compliments about it, I’ll share it here.
I could expound ad nausea on this topic, but I’ll attempt to be brief and offer 3 key steps in selecting a tool or tools:
There’s a plethora of options, most of which overlap (but few play well together), which unfortunately makes things more complicated.
First, determine what problem(s) you’re trying to solve. Do you want to improve communications between […]
After upgrading to Windows 10, I discovered a bunch of shortcomings…
10. OneDrive placeholders no longer supported. What? How do you now use that 1 TB cloud storage you planned on using as virtual storage for your MS Surface?
9. Search in Windows 10 Start is slower
8. Battery system tray icon no longer lets you switch power plans. It’s now embedded several clicks in the UI.
7. All of a sudden, my monitor overscanning stopped working.
6. If you set OneDrive to not start upon Windows 10 startup, good luck figuring out how to start OneDrive manually (hint: look for OneDrive.exe in Programs)
5. Edge […]